📣 IF YOU HAVE A CHILD IN ISLAMIC SCHOOL OR PLANNING TO SEND TO ISLAMIC SCHOOL, YOU NEED TO READ THIS
I hope this message finds you in the best of iman, taqwa and in good health. In 2021, there is an amendment bill on Equal Opportunity (Religious Exceptions) where freedom and rights of faith-based schools and institutions are stripped under this law. Such schools and institutions can no longer exclusively employ staff who share their ethos and operate according to their faith tenets.
Australian Law Reform Commission (ALRC) will be pushing to axe religious freedom protections where LGBTIQ+ beliefs will penetrate to Islamic schools in Australia. You are welcome to express your views in their survey which will open till 24th February 2023. You can click the link below for ALRC inquiry.
I will encourage all of you to express your voice in a diplomatically, democratically and with anti-discrimination manner.
Instead of raising your voices in a religious perspectives by commenting that it is sinful and etc which may sound discriminating and extremist views, you can raise your voices by using UN Human Rights:
1. On our rights to practice our culture, language and religion.
2. Government has a responsibility to make sure the rights are protected.
3. Government funded private schools with less funds compared to public schools. Majority of the funds come from parents, hence we have every right to choose the kind of education given to our children
4. Have the rights for us to choose and uphold our religious ethos instead of forcing us to abide.
5. With the new law, it is discrimination against those with religious beliefs and forcing us to comply.
6. Staff, children and families should abide by the code of conduct of the schools and institutions and are welcome to seek alternative if they disagree.
7. The law should be balance to allow us to continue our rights and our dignity.
Article 18 & 26
Article 4, 8 & 30
Time is running out to complete the survey and I hope we can express our views positively and democratically.
Spread the words about this survey. JazakAllah Khair.